After ESP8266 , which broke all the market records in IOT, providing the cheapest WIFI chip in the market, Now AI Thinker seems to be promising with a new module in the market, I.E A6 GSM/GPRS Module at only $3.6. All Alibaba and Aliexpress (leading Chinese online seller) are fully loaded with this module. This A6 GSM/GPRS Module Seems like, A big competitor for SIM900 series module.
These modules coming in market SMT package, as ESP12E, But there are many vendors already making breakout board with antenna out and SIM card slot, for an extra dollar.
Alibaba sellers are claiming, this is the smallest available Industrial grade quad-band GSM / GPRS module.
Features that Make difference:
- Competitive price!
- Compact size, 22.8×16.8×2.5mm
- Easy to use DTU
- Industrial level GPRS
- Can use SMS to config module
- Support up to 8 channels network connections
- Low power consumption: standby least is 3mA
- Wide operating temperature range
- A6 semi-hole technology, enabling rapid production modules through standard SMT equipment, providing customers with highly reliable connection, especially for automation, large-scale, low-cost modernization of production methods.
I also have ordered few modules, to experiment. I will share you my views and comparison with SIM900A, Till then if you find any info or you get this by hand before me, don’t forget to share your experience with me in comment box below.