Although raspberry pi zero launched a year before, I did not received it because, it was out off stock in the market. Finally I received Raspberry Pi Zero “W” which means it have inbuilt wifi. I was very excited when I saw in my local store, because it is so small and built in wifi. So cute actually :P.
After purchasing, biggest problem I had is, I don’t have LAN or small HDMI monitor to connect.
I struggled bit, but finally i manged to do the setup and access the raspberry pi windows PC using SSH(Putty), after reading lot of article over internet. So Here are steps you can easily follow to make headless setup for raspberry pi zero w.
Download and Extract The OS:
- Download the latest, Raspbian OS from the server, I prefer “RASPBIAN STRETCH LITE“, because of small footprint.
- Then You need a 8GB SD card, and SD Formatter Software.
- Connect Your SD Card to Card Reader, Insert to your Laptop/PC and Open SD formatter.
- Select Your SD Card and Choose “Quick Format” in option, then click on format. it Will take few seconds and SD card will be formatted.
- Then You Need to Install new tool named, “win32 disk Imager“, this will help us to extract the os to SD card.
- Open Win32 Disk Imager, Choose the Raspbian OS downloaded in the step 1, choose your SD card, click on wirte.
- Wait for couple of minutes until finish, and you are ready to connect.
- If you have a monitor and and keyboard, you can start the OS booting on Raspberry PI Zero(This step is same for all type of raspberry PI)
Making Headless setup (If you don’t have Keyboard & Monitor)
- Connect SD card ,that you prepared on above steps to computer/pc.
- Create a file named “wpa_supplicant.conf” and paste following code into the file
- Create a empty file named “ssh” , remember there is no file extension , this is for enabling ssh in the raspberry pi, so that we can access raspberry pi zero w remotely over wifi.
- Once we configure all these, safely remove from PC and Connect the SD card to raspberry pi.
- Power it up, it should connect to your local wifi,
Finding IP address of raspberry PI:
- To Connect raspberry pi to the windows via ssh, we need to find IP address of raspberry pi.
- Make sure your pc and raspberry pi connected to same wifi network.
- Use a tool named “Advance Ip Scanner“
- Click on scan, you will get see the raspberry pi in the scan results.
- Open the SSH terminal called putty , and enter the IP address of raspberry pi.
- It will prompt for username and password, enter default username and password of raspberry pi which is “pi” & “raspberry”.
If you have followed all steps carefully, you should able to connect your raspberry pi computer via ssh.
Hope you like this true headless setup for raspberry pi zero w, this headless setup is easy and straight forward, if you still find any issue, let me know in comment section below.
Happy Coding & Happy New Year